[microsound] Solar

Bobby,

I wrote my Masters Thesis on this. I currently have one 125 watt solar panel that I charge car batteries with.

The best thing the solar industry could do would be to develop MORE safe and affordable inverters that put power directly back into your home and any excess goes out onto the grid.....saving you money....BUT there has been energy industry pushback (agaisn the MS-100 inverter) because the energy industry doesn't want people plugging in something that gives back power.....it's JUST as safe as plugging in something that consumes power.....they just don't want a two way street....

That said, check out www.homesolar.com and you'll find a lot of US based information. A friend of mine from teh UK has a brother that lives in Brussels and works for a company that is big in teh EC on alternative energy stuff.....

The best answer right now is to purchase a 125 panel (about 750 $ US) and a portable battery system. BP is a big promotoer of Solar stuff by the way.....

So anyway - It is possible, it's still too expensive, and there is big industry oposition (as well as little US govt progress), the EC has a better outlook right now. If you want to be portable and charge up during the day that's teh way to go. If you want to improve the efficiency of your studio and be kinder to teh earth let's start demanding affordable inverters and soalr panels!

Frank "sunlight" D'Urso

PS - an old radioshack electronics kit I have made good audio use of a small solar panel.....I can hear the sun singing

<<<

hello, I have been thinking of whether it would be possible to set up solar panels to power
a battery from which i could run a small amount (computer, monitors, soundcard and maybe one other thing, all on their own power supplies at the moment) of sound-making equipment in the evenings. So far all the sites i have found have been firing anti-nuclear-power spiel at me, without much info on how i could actually set such a system up, what kind of panels would be needed etc..
I live in southern england, not the sunniest of places, but i was thinking that maybe the battery could power up during most of the day, so that i might use the power entirely from the battery.

I was wondering if any microsounders have personal experience of setting up such systems (on a
budget) or any pointers for how I could proceed, (do they need to be licenced, or checked by
any safety authority) . Any information or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks .
 Bobby Whelan>>>