Re: [microsound] [ot] USB audio out in Linux?

Hi Kim,

remember that noting in Linux is "automagic" unless you tell it to be ;-)

The simplest thing would be to do an "alsaconf" as root (assuming you have the alsa-tools or alsa-utils package installed, can't remember which). There *is* an ALSA driver for the IMic, you just have to configure it. Alsaconf can write a new /etc/modules.conf/alsa (or whatever the exact file is under Debian) for the IMic *or* the built-in. If you'd like to use both, then you'll have to make a more detailed alsa configuration file. Below I've posted mine, with my cardbus HDSP first, the built-in soundcard second, a third USB-MIDI soundcard and a fourth "virtual MIDI" (loopback) soundcard. The important part is the name of the module to load (driver) under the first "options= snd-CARDNAME index=CARDINDEX" line. See www.alsa-project.org for more info on module names for your soundcards.

In Gentoo, this file is /etc/modules.d/alsa. I forget what it is under Debian, but aquick visit to www.alsa-project.org will fix that problem for you!

good luck,
derek

# Alsa 0.9.X kernel modules' configuration file.
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/media-sound/alsa-driver/files/alsa-modules.conf-rc,v 1.1 2002/12/21 06:31:52 agenkin Exp $

options snd-hdsp index=0
options snd-intel8x0 index=1
options snd-usb-midi index=2
options snd-virmidi index=3

alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore

alias snd-card-0 snd-hdsp
alias snd-card-1 snd-intel8x0
alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
alias snd-card-3 snd-virmidi

alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
alias sound-slot-2 snd-card-2
alias sound-slot-3 snd-card-3

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-1-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-1-8 snd-seq-oss

alias sound-service-2-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-2-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-2-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-2-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-2-8 snd-seq-oss

alias sound-service-3-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-3-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-3-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-3-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-3-8 snd-seq-oss

alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

# Set this to the correct number of cards.
options snd major=116 cards_limit=4
options usb-audio enable=1

Kim Cascone wrote:
a shout for help and guru guidance from any Linux audio gurus out there...
here is the problem:
- installed Ubuntu/Gnome/Debian on a 500MHz iBook - PPC
- have ALSA and OSS drivers installed
- sound out main audio heaphones works fine
- I then attach a iMic to the iBook and nothing...even after a reboot (so the system can recognize the USB device) there is no audio to the iMic
- I am playing around with PD, Audacity and Sweep but after doing some major driver twiddling none of them seem to spit usb audio out to the iMic
- there is a plethora of disparate ALSA OSS Linux audio info out there - all of it seems to contradict or not be clear or up to date...
- could someone who has installed Linux on a PPC please illuminate me as to how to get audio to the iMic or any USB audio device in Linux?
thanks in advance and I will write this up and post it to the TWiki if it works
http://microsound.nexthop.net/bin/view.cgi/Main/LinuxPPC
cheers!
KIM

derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl