[microsound] interesting legal/licensing developments at scene.org [nexsound.org mp3 host]

Hi all,

I just got an interesting notice from Andrey Kiritchenko about Scene.org, the host of the mp3 files for Nexsound.org. Seems that some people who have uploaded their work to Scene.org in the past for free have turned around and sold the same tracks, and have come back to Scene.org demanding that their material be removed. [I'm pretty certain this has *nothing* to do with any Nexsound artists, BTW!]

While I find this an entirely slimey way to do business, I do appreciate an artists' right to control the distribution of their work online. All in all it's a tricky issue to figure out: should the artist be forced to accept that their work is now in the "public domain", or should they have the right to rescend that and not be allowed to sell their work under terms which remove it from the this domain?

Scene.org has responded tho this catch-22 by applying a specific Creative Commons license to all work in their archive past, present and future:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/

I find this whole development very interesting, as it says a lot about "the scene's" current commercial aspirations and the "use value" of posting your work in the public domain. You can get the whole story here:

http://www.scene.org/discussnews.php?item=275

as well as on their front news page:

http://www.scene.org/news.php

best,