Re: [microsound] image to sound conversion software

i don't want to fork this conversation away from the dialogue
developing about "transcoding" but i just followed links to this
totally interesting project:
ttp://www.seeingwithsound.com/voice.htm

"The vOICe Learning Edition translates arbitrary video images from a
regular PC camera into sounds. This means that you can see with your
ears, whenever you want to. Now step beyond your computer screen and
screen reader and try this camera-based "scene reader". With a
notebook PC you can even go mobile. How well you can learn to see with
your ears is something that only you can find out, but now you can
indeed find out and learn through this Learning Edition software, for
free!"

the sample sounds remind me of "classic" electronic/synthesizer music.  :)

this is the technology discussed in an episode of 'quirks&quarks' that
was blogged just now on boingboing:
http://www.cbc.ca/quirks/archives/04-05/apr02.html

best,
jake