Re: [microsound] SDIC

Well, I thinks Kim's point is, in a complex system, you can't take away
something like algebra and expect ANY aspect of the system to remain the
same.  I mean, fundamentally, from this point of view, you could argue
that without algebra, none of us would have been born.  The human race
and planet might appear totally different.  I would assume that the role
of algebra in, say, the last 500 years of human history is hardly
trivial!

~David

In a message dated 14/4/05 4:51:21 pm, kim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>without OULIPO there wouldn't
>have been Calvino, Perec, Queneau.
I would ascribe a broader engagement with their craft to all of these
writers
than just the association with Oulipo. I think all of these talents are
more
than just a one trick pony.
Without algebra I'm fairly sure that each would still have had
something to
say.
regards
Rob