Re: [microsound] building blocks

> OTOH: As Pd is not useable without at least a basic
> understanding of
> general principles in fields like math, sound
> synthesis, harmonics,
> digital sound processing (or graphics, if you want
> to use GEM, Jitter
> etc.) it enforces users to deal with this stuff.
> However everything
> they learn about these topics will be their own
> possession from then
> on.

I agree with this point.  Using Max/MSP and Jitter has
forced me to aquaint myself with a number of dsp,
image processing, mathematics, and general systems
theories.  All of this knowledge is transferrable to a
variety of different activities, including other art
forms altogether.

> And in your case: As you already have knowledge
> about music, sound
> etc. your learning curve will be much, much flatter
> than for a
> complete beginner in this field.
>
> You won't need 3-4 years, you will just need some
> weeks, or 2-3 months
> at most. Hey, you even already started to learn
> Python, which is
> really great to get a grip of some software
> development principles,
> which aren't even needed to use Pd (but they come in
> very handy as you
> advance).

It only took me a couple of weeks to get the basics
down.  It helps to have a background in composition,
synthesis, etc. I highly recommend The CMT for any
shortcomings in that department.

Like someone else mentioned, it's like learning a
foreign language.  It will only enrich your life and
force you to understand things on a lower level.

andrew

Andrew Benson
www.cloud-machine.com