Re: [microsound] FRPS - Fractally Reverse-Palindromic Soundwave

John Hopkins;

> It's certainly not an evolution-directed development, as ducks aren't
> normally in spaces where echo/non-echo sounding is necessary, I would
> like to see a scope of the wave-form...

You can get echos off the edge of forests, though obviously arteficial
forests will work much better.
More importantly; you can also echo off the floor or a surface of watter,
which might be quite relevant if you fly a lot while needing to communicate.
In fact our own hearing uses this as a spatial clue. For sound sources far
away the time difference difference between the "floor echo" and the
original is minimal while for some sound source above and closely behind you
it´s quite large. It´s evolutionary quite important to be able to sort
those.

I imagine that if amongst ducks the spatial location of a "quack source" is
very important compared to the abilities of the brain structure responsible
for the sorting of echos and direct sound this could be evolutionary
directed. To be honest; I would be quite surpised if some element of the
duck *wasn´t* evolutionary directed......

> I did a quick google on the phrase "Fractally Reverse-Palindromic
> Soundwave" and also quite a few variations, with no relevant returns
> -- I am thinking this is a joke anyway.  A palindrome is a linguistic
> term, and fractal geometries are not described in terms of that low
> level of Cartesian symmetry...

Perhaps it´s more a case of badly chosen language?
Anyway, this might be a nice thing to abuse musically....

Yours,
Kas.