Re: [microsound] being 'political' in non-verbal music

On 6/23/05, graham miller <grahammiller@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> aren't letters just shapes and lines, nothing more? abstract graphics on a
> empty background?

Yes, that's right.  That is fundamentally what they are.  They only
gain meaning within a landscape of signification, which is what we
call culture.

> one person's written language is another person's hieroglyphics...

yes, in  a banal way, this is true.  Except by now, we know that
different languages are languages not heiroglyphics because we've had
enough education to know what these symbols might mean.