Re: [microsound] being 'political' in non-verbal music

Though music has been recently used as a weapon.  Brings this article to mind.  Wish I still had an active link to prove it legit but at least I copied the text:

'Tortured' with Rap??
Mon Dec 22,10:04 AM ET

BEIRUT (Reuters) - Lebanese Mohammed Jaber said he went to Iraq on a pilgrimage to Muslim holy sites, he ended up being "tortured" with loud rap music by U.S. troops suspicious he might be a foreign fighter against their occupation.

Jaber said an Iraqi taxi driver handed him and three friends over to U.S. troops for $100 each in April apiece as fighters for ousted Iraqi President Saddam Hussein.

"They asked us why we were there and if we came to fight them. But we said we came only to visit the holy sites in Kerbala," he told Reuters.

"They didn't torture us physically but they did psychologically by raising the volume of rap music all day until it became unbearable and by withholding food," he said.

But Jaber said he kept one secret from his captors, fearing the treatment could get worse.
"I mean I like rap, just imagine them playing jazz."

U.S.-led forces in Iraq freed Jaber and sent him and seven other Arab detainees home on Saturday.

graham miller <grahammiller@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
on sonic weapons:

http://www.forteantimes.com/articles/153_sonicweapons.shtml

http://www.rense.com/general/soundwaves.htm

sound? yes. but music?

is it important to distinguish?

g.

"tobias c. van Veen" wrote:

> High volume sound as tactical dispersion method of polis-itics might drive
> some to some mad nomadism -- or another city.
>
> - tV

"Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
And today?  Today is a gift.