Re: [microsound] being 'political' in non-verbal music

on 22/6/05 02:11, Bill Ashline at ashline@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On 6/21/05, Damian Stewart <damian@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> How do you get across political messages in music which has no lyrics
>> and which has no voice samples?
>>

> You can't.

Not sure about that Bill. I've just heard a simple piece called Cacerolada
at the Sonic Arts Network Conference in Scarborough, UK that made a very
powerful political statement on several levels without lyrics or voice
samples. The piece, by Justin Bennett, was a recording of the people of
Barcelona banging kitchen utensils and the like in protest against the Iraq
war for which they eventually suffered a bombing, then overthrew their
government and got their troops out of Iraq  For us in the UK it reminded us
just how much more we could have done and how we were duped or perhaps just
how little democracy their really is. And on and on, ie, political debate
ensued. Very inspiring and a reinforcement of the power of sound.

mopani