[microsound] Re: make your own vinyl

>There are a couple items at work here. First off,
>issues of sound
>quality
>and "pre-laid" DJ sets, both these items are not
items >that should be
>held
>against the concept of digital medium, as they are
>nearly the result of
>choices made by the "DJ".

Hey! I love the concept of the digital medium, and use
it all the time, just not at the center of a dj set
(at least not yet).

It wasn't the concept i was critiquing, but the
current "dj" situation wherein you see vinyl nearly
eliminated from sets.

>All it takes is for someone to put wavs/aiffs
>or
>even 320kbps mp3 into their libraries instead of low
>grade audio,

Sure, but what dj has the time to record all the
material that may be of use at some point into aiff
/wav files or high grade mp3? Yes, it can be done. And
I know one very $uccesful dj who did take his whole
record collection and do that. (paid a hefty sum to do
it). Hats off to those who are doing this work..

__________

I don't know if the word dynamic comes to mind so much
when you think about/remember/experience a loop-based
set... And that's because they often aren't . The
software doesn't really breathe that way. You could
fight it, but it would certainly take some work to do
so.. Should be done, yes.  Hats off to those who
fightg the power. Anyhow, I have been to some pretty
fun loop-based sets (almost all using Live, btw)...
Not as great as vinyl-based great sets.. but hey! ;)

>The problem with vinyl is that it's so limiting in
>terms of what source
>material is available

Sources are endless in a certain way.

Anyhow, I don't see the dj software, that exists and
all the hype around its "breakthru", doing alot for dj
music *right now*, as it is.

For loop-based dance sets, yes, it has opened that up
to take center stage and move the feet, as well as be
really good for ambient sets.   How "deep" such
loop-based sets go is another question (being
enslaved, as loop-based sets often are, to
beat-matching, can create a kind of chugging whirlwind
bacbone to The Beat...  but depth aside from ambient
sets?...).  Whether this can be used well in a context
other then ambient sets and/or primarily techno or
flavors there of, is something yet to be written...

I think for now, in terms of dj'ing hybriding is the
only route.  And so, jettisoning vinyl from this
scene, seems regressive to music, to me.

- A