Re: [microsound] digital (was Make your own vinyl)

On May 31, 2005, at 8:40 PM, graham miller wrote:

okay, now i can't remember what either of our points were:)

I think somewhere in there we converged. :)

nope. but it was the quintessential glitch...

I would totally agree! But I also prefer to think of Hendrix as the quintessential glitch.

i'd argue that the distorted signals both caused by overdriven amps prior
to preamp distortion, was a HUGE influence on the aesthetics of rock
music.

Yeah totally, distortion became a definite leader in a lot of Rock music... 'post' Rock & Roll, it could be called :)

i know i play differently is my PRS is on squeaky clean single coil mode,

I can relate, I play on three different guitars with three different kinds of strings, and the nature of the sound helps shape the way I improvise.

Well we could sit here all night and throw examples back and forth,

don't get you here...

Essentially that we could hunt out and find exceptions to the rule ad naseum.

i have most of his work, including his lovely acoustic work. i'm a huge fan
of him and also, of course. mr. victor lemont wooten, (whom i taught
everything he know about bass... naturally)

Ha ha... he's totally the shit. I love that guy. Truly though I was even more fascinated with his brother's drumitaring!

how is techno music not folk music? how are we not engaging in folk
practices right now through this dialogue? global village, that whole sort
of thing... but maybe that's your point...

Yep pretty much. Techno music is folk music in the digital realm, and it has very complex multi-cultural influences. But there are other folk on the planet who don't even have electricity who are still making music. Two completely opposite sides of the enormously beautiful folk spectrum, it's some of my favorite music of all.