Re: [microsound] unintentional sound

hi,

the problem i'm having with your proposal is in the use of the word unintentional. intentional , premeditated , habitual are all terms which need not mean the same thing. more specifically: just because something happens , or happens differently from what a person might expect ; doesn't remove it from the sphere of intention.

  i think you are onto something though.

my suggestion is that a more fertile area of endeavor might lie in the exploration of one's intentions or lack of intentions and the relation to other's intentions or lack thereof.

  i''ll try to give you a couple examples.

recently i've made recordings , mostly of acoustic instruments , sound ideas , and so forth and then listened to them outside in order to get an idea how the music works in a social context. sometimes a series of noises which all seemed pretty much the same indoors will each have a distinct character and perhaps even distinct functions. sometimes someone will try to unnerve me by saying something harsh while i'm listening to these carefully compiled sounds and at the same instant there will be (for example) an extremely loud and short guitar burst which compliments the voice and the result is a micro hard rock song which sounds nice.

it's rather like studying a language trying to discover what it is i'm saying.

another recording i listened to recently is a live c.d. by 'rebreather' (christopher delaurenti and alex keller) a duo which deals with attention , intention and (at least it seems to my audio receptors) a commonality and separateness between individuals. i was listening along , not thinking of anything in particular , and then i'd have an unusual thought and at the same instant , for exactly the same duration as the thought , there would be a sound from the speakers that seemed to sort of compliment or back it up while at the same time being in a different realm , somehow. i found that anytime i thought of something or made a sound i didn't consider intentional , there would be a commentary at precisely the same instant.

it seems to me most sounds people (or the higher organisms , for that matter) make are quite intentional , they might not be metronomic (in this case meaning having a clearly discernable pattern in a timeframe when taken out of context) or regimented. if a person puts a swiss army knife in the pocket with a hole , it's fairly certain it might fall out onto the floor at some point; it doesn't have to be at the top of the agenda. if a woman puts on a stiff silk dress and high heels she knows damn well she's going to be shish swishing and click clicking.

i hope this is help.

Bill