Re: [microsound] microphone

Sony's HiMD recorders can record without compression at 16/44.1K, use inexpensive media and provide USB uploading. There are no high gain field tests of the MicroTrack mic preamp as yet to the best of my knowledge. If M-Audio's specs are right, HiMD mic preamps are likely to be quieter and could have ~15-20dB more gain.

I recently recorded at 24/48, 16/44.1K and ATRAC3+ rates in a very quiet location. To my ears,the differences in self noise of the mics I was using [e.g. 8dB(A)] produced greater impact on the noise in the recordings than the differences produced by the bit rates/algorithm. Rob D.