[microsound] Re: microsound Digest 5 Nov 2005 20:27:31 -0000 Issue 1505

electronic musicians seem to have had this problem with the performative
aspects of sullen guys with bad posture standing or sitting behind
keyboards for a long time now?

My posture's fine. I'm not sullen - I have to pay attention to which I do, since I'm not phoning it in. One possible strategy is the one I use: stand still, close your eyes and try to actually pay attention. In fact, simply listening with one's eyes closed has the added advantage of revealing who up there on stage is covering for uninteresting audio with eye candy.

Of course, if the dominant paradigm is currently composed
of a bunch of people sequencing their loops in Live so that
they more or less resemble their last recording [or my real
personal favorite, which involves playing a soundfile through
the mixer and trying to look busy while mousing the mix
dial on the GRM plug-in], I can understand why one might
want some spectacle. I try had to never ever do the same
thing more than once. So far, I've succeeded, despite the
temptations to the contrary.

It's occasionally fun, when performing in the same area as
someone you respect, to think of adding some visuals. But
I'd hope I can always do something that doesn't require it
to be interesting. Your mileage as a producer and listener
may vary, of course.