Re: [microsound] Documenting sound installations

Another solution would be to record the sound at the space while it is
empty, and also to overdub a clean, direct signal onto your video or
whatever you use to document.  You could manually adjust the levels of
each channel to follow along the video camera, giving some extra
clarity and detail to the recording.

~Kyle

On 12/8/05, Trond Lossius <lossius@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for all the replies.
>
> I'm going to spend Monday documenting an installation that is
> currently running at Bergen kunsthall, Norway. I'll attempt to try as
> many different approaches I can to see what material I'll get and how/
> if it's working. I'm already thinking in terms of recreating the
> sound using ambisonics or Spat. I'll also try to crank the volume way
> up to increase the signal to noise rate. The problem about this is
> that for some installations/spaces I've experienced that the balance
> between different layers of the sound change completely with volumes,
> probably due to the generally less than ideal acoustic properties of
> most gallery spaces.
>
> I'm also thinking that maybe I should do some recordings of the
> ambient sound at the space with none of my sound running, and try
> doing a studio mix and add some ambience to it.
>
> Documenting using surround sound seems a good idea, particularly if I
> could burn to DVD with the option to use stereo or surround sound.
>
> > ps - i was talking with kurt not too long ago about your
> > installation at
> > diapason in january. what are the dates? i'm doing a west coast tour
> > the first week of january but will be back on the 8th. i'd love to see
> > it.
>
> We decided to postpone it. We would only be able to run the
> installation for 2 1/2 Saturdays, so it hardly seemed worth the
> effort. I hope that we will be able to do it sometime later, and have
> the space every Saturday for the duration of the exhibition instead
> of sharing with other projects. Apart from that I'm involved in a
> stage production by a Norwegian ensemble named Verdensteatret that is
> in fact performing at PS122 in NY today and tomorrow. I'll try to
> keep it short here out of respect for the list rules, but there's
> more info here:
>
> http://www.bek.no/Members/lossius/lostblog/637
> http://www.pluto.no/doogie/verdensteatret/
>

> Best,