Re: [microsound] laptop for home recording and live amplification

considering people on here are well aware of the usual ranting about this, here is my opinion:

pc laptops are at the moment faster and better value. powerbooks aren't really fast, but very ergonomic and some would argue reliable. battery is about the same compared to a centrino. ibook batteries go really long, but i don't like the plastic finish, which seems to get damaged easily.
you can get nice laptops in both sides, though i would never trade my pb for a pclaptop, but that's just me.
I've found many pc users to feel a bit left behind when you use max msp, as many externals are osx only, but that's just my usual sw.
you can install linux on both and it performs rather well on my pb, though wifi doesn't work, which makes it unusable to me, but this is a general linux problem with built-in wifi.
both will do fine for live performance, you should test your set-up for hours on end to be sure it works, because if there is a possibility of a crash, it will happen when you're on stage. I had to do an hour of live patching with 10 crashes, because my patch didn't like he osc data coming in.
an additional advantage to powerbooks is that they have nice built-in audio with low latency.
either way, get the best you can afford and for a modern laptop, I'd say 1Gb of RAM is a must when doing live music. You may want to check hard drive speed, some laptops like cheaper pcs and macs run slower. You can get an external fw hard drive to enhance performance, but you have to plug these into mains. when buying pcs, i'd recommend centrino's over P4's, but P4's are better for certain things, like jitter.

cheers

Isjtar

Op 28-nov-05 om 03:38 heeft sean doyle het volgende geschreven:

dear list

i know this would have been discussed many times before, or maybe not since it's such a dumbass rudimentary concern, but: any thoughts on mac books vs pc laptops for recording sound from a mic to disk, and amplifying to a live pa with as much ease and quality as possible? what specs does each need for this including processors, memory and sound cards?

sean