Re: [microsound] Theremins with true sine output?

you could try the theremin CV source made by Doepfer (A-178 THER)
http://www.doepfer.de
which outputs just the control voltage, which you could map to yr VCO's.

Aaron Ximm wrote:

I'd like to be able to do this performatively but have been looking for
something more expressive than a signal generator interface (e.g. a knob
for frequency and a knob for amplitude). The gestural interface of a
theremin seemed ideal.

For what it's worth the Doepfer the process doesn't involve "mapping" - there is no map, that's a term better applied to MIDI data for instance, simply put Doepfer makes some Theremin-like antenna modules that output control voltages as you've mentioned. You can use that voltage to control or be scaled to control anything that accepts voltage control. Doepfer makes VCOs with sine waves. I just paused on the word "mapping" because I believe one of the main attractions of un-digitally assisted analog technology is a complete lack of maps and the inherently stepped/quantitized data involved (nothing wrong if you need it but neither sine waves nor theremins are stepped to begin with)

Now here's some personal experience. Deopfer basic A-110 VCO sine is misshaped enough for me to hear harmonics. I scoped it when I suspected and sure enough it has a bump. Their A-111 VCO has a clean enough sine wave that I can't hear harmonics but is rather pricey (made with an IC chip developed for synths back in the late 1970s). You could save money with a self resonating filter. A voltage controlled filter that self resonates tends to produce very pure waves. Serge Transform Systems, a maker of fairly high end analog modular gear points out that their multimode filter's outputs (each with naturally occurring phase shifts) makes for an excellent source of low frequency sine waves in quadrature (four 90 degree phase offsets between the various outputs).

Serge for what it's worth has a Waveshaper that can shape a saw to a sine. I believe they originally marketed it because their earlier and less costly VCO did not include sine waves... but the great bonus is you can voltage control your waveshape between the two or run other waves through as an experiment. Not cheap though.

That's what I think is at the heart of the feature issue (Theremin with sine waves). Capability to produce good sine waves with analog circuitry isn't lacking, the capability to do it for cheap enough to build in a *commercial* Theremin where list price is any concern is. That's why you don't see it. It doesn't cost that much but way too much to just throw in an accurate implementation as a feature.

If you have a theremin with a control voltage output then you just need a suitable VCO with a sine output and probably a VCA to control it's output volume from the amplitude antenna. If you need it in one unit, someone who does custom analog enclosures could likely repackage and power the couple circuits(modules) you'd need. You'd then have your Theremin with a true sine output.

nick
http://technopop.info/ndkent/
http://www.technopop.info/panik/dct.jpg
(doepfer theremin setup)