Re: [microsound] Fungus music

I think in this instance the term "academic" is being used to describe a mode of art which is rooted in (or based on) a conceptual as opposed to an aesthetic worth.

Personally, I feel that conceptuality in music is best employed subtly; as a device to generate aesthetically tangible value. In my own work I prefer to keep the concepts obscured from the conscious mind of the audience.

From: Craque <craque@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: microsound <microsound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [microsound] Fungus music
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 07:12:33 -0800

If played side-by-side, could you tell the difference? "Academic" music used to mean something (uptown/downtown), but does it really mean anything now?

Ritchie wrote:

Thought it might be of interest to some. From memory it's not the first time this type of thing has been done. The project I'm thinking of was made from graphing growing plants in some form. Interesting concept but the outcome wasn't that musical which happens with 'academic' music every now and then.