Re: [microsound]Profound discovery

needs MIDI...

aleks vasic wrote:

http://www.rolluppianoman.com/

Wow, now that is simply amazing, everyone should have one.  Even
endorsed by James Goulet, "studio musician"!  Its digital even.  What
are you waiting for...

Actually it would be neat to take apart.

aLEKs

This looks like a copy of earlier, more expensive Chinese units (that may actually roll up better). I saw one model with MIDI for circa $175. (note the "as much as $250" in the ad clearly refers to units on the market for a while).

I tried the more expensive units (without MIDI) which may or may not be identical to the TV commercial one. I found them very hard to play, the pads are not very sensitive - I guess to keep adjacent notes from false triggering. Playing harder makes hitting the raised ridges between keys not very pleasant - something I found I was doing. Worse, there are no dynamics (no velocity, aftertouch, any sort of expression). I see nothing in the online video to convince me that it's not similar or the same as what I played. Clearly those people in the video practiced until they didn't sound awkward, but still there's zero expression in their toy-like sound.

I use a roll-up USB computer keyboard with a homebound shoebox PC. I'd almost rather see a (likely totally unexpressive) keyboard made of that stuff, my fingers like the response better. Maybe someday a musical instrument maker will make something like the above out of more responsive material.

I would like something that would fit in a bag with a laptop. I guess the "real" keyboards with the half throw keys come a little closer than an Oxygen, but neither has enough protection for the keys and knobs to throw into a bag, maybe if they had a foam cover of some sort. Maybe some kind of expensive bag would do the trick but I'd prefer a way to protect the face of a keyboard to fit in any bag.

I've been playing a 2.5 octave Edirol PCR-30 for a while, which needs a medium sized bag way larger than a laptop bag . It has enough keys to play with 2 hands - which I like a lot over the more common 2 octave smaller ones. I unfortunately stored it in a bag, where, unknown to me the keys were being lightly depressed, so one day I took it out and volia, a bunch of keys were dead. Edirol confirmed that storage with depressed keys leads to key failure.

Maybe someday this technology can be used for controllers
http://www.overclockersclub.com/?read=7328384

nicholas d. kent
http://technopop.info/ndkent