RE: [microsound] visual artists

Hey, all.
I've been more of a .microsound lurker lately, but I, too, have a BFA & MFA
in Painting. I've always been involved in music, and have traditional
training in vocal, piano, and trombone. I personally use composition and
audio "tinkering" to take a break from my visual work, keeping the creative
juices flowing while my subconscious processes whatever challenges I have in
the studio. I do tend to keep many of the issues in painting and sound
separate. I suppose that is a function of how I use sound more to "play"
when I need a break, and partially because I like to deal with visuals and
sound at the most fundamental, formal, abstract levels. That seems to
eliminate a lot of the arbitrary connections made between the two forms.

There are a few artists whom I have come to appreciate, such as Morton
Feldman and Trevor Wishart, for their very specific relationships between
sound and visuals that move beyond the more common synthesthetic discourse.
Having started out quite early with an interest in Kandinsky, Scriabin, and
the like, the more subjective approach to synthesia just isn't as
interesting to me any more. I personally find that the more concrete
linguistic connections between sound and image, and the formal discourse
that attempts to capture each of the structures are far more complex,
interesting. For me, the flow goes back and forth, and much of my visual
work does incorporate sound and language. I've also been fortunate enough to
be able to go out and perform sound material when I choose, so playing with
sound has become a succesful part of my creative practice.

I should say that the experimental sound community, especially the
..microsound list, has been an enlightening and encouraging group to be
involved with. I have found opportunities here, and it's kept me going at
times when other aspects of my practice were frustrating.  Just knowing that
you're all out there thinking and experimenting offers great comfort. Sorry
I haven't had as much time to contribute lately, but, anyway, thanks to you
all!
Christopher Sorg
Multimedia Artist and Instructor
The School of the Art Institute of Chicago
Columbia College Chicago
http://www.chrissorg.com