Re: [microsound] american female exp. composers

ciao david,

it's mainly a social/cultural thing partly due to the approach to technology in Japan. I was always surprided by the number of female electronic artists (experimental or not) in Tokyo, not only musicians but also vjs and videomakers.

ale***

david wrote:
hello list,

yesterday, while listening to some beautiful sounds from sawako i started counting all the female artists in my catalogue and to my total surprise i could not find any american!

there is a good number of japanese (sawako, sachiko, haco, miroque, amy yoshia, miki yui, o.blaat, yuko nexus....), some europeans (kaffe matthews, agf, zavoloka, olivia block, andrea neumann..., no italians though) but no-one from usa.

now, it seems very peculiar to me that there are so many japanese female experimental composers and so few americans, any thought about this? what is the social/cultural reason?

please note that i am talking of experimental music, not techno, not electronica, not anything commercial.

david.

http://www.microsuoni.com