[microsound] [ot] opiate of the masses

I came in late on this discussion, but the person wanted ideas for
how to eliminate unwanted reverb.

Here's a kluge I thought might work:

Take your track and with a paragraphic equalizer, take out as many frequencies as you can to get the original tracking instruments out of the mix....................

in other words, eq everything BUT the reverb sound to the extent possible.

Now, take that track and invert it's phase 180%. There are several freeware phase inverter VSTs on the market.

No combine the resultant phase reversed reverb only track with the original track (original instruments and verb)
in as exact a volume distribution as you can manage
and mix down to a new two tracks of stereo.

Theoretically, the reverb will now cancel itself out (being out of phase) and you'll have a track with much less verb.

Does this make sense? It won't be perfect but it will be better than trying to eq out just the verb by itself because
it will target exactly the frequencies you want gone.

yours,
Rick Walker
aka nO thiN-g
aka purplehand

ps I'm a newbie here....................it looks like a very hip list. I make abstract electronica and found and invented live looping CDs
and have toured as a headliner in 12 countries in the past 3 years as a live looping artist under the moniker, |()()p.p()()|
Glad to be here. I know vastly more about acoustic glitch than electronic glitch but I also am a fairly sophisticated digital
sound designer as well.
I am also a representing artist for Cycling 74, Antares, Gibson (Echoplex), Looperlative, Cooperman Frame Drums and several other electric and acoustic sound companies. I am also considered an expert on world rhythm and rhythm theory in general, having studied and backed master musicians from around the world for the last 30 years, so if anything I do well can be of service to the people on this list, please don't
be afraid to reach out. Otherwise, I"ll just be bugging you all with my own annoying newbie questions..............lol
Cheers......................off to headline the Boise Experimental Music Festival in two weeks............gotta get a show together.