Re: [microsound] lav shootout

At 8:34 PM -0700 4/7/06, Aaron Ximm wrote:
>  > >  The only option I know of that would be nearly as stealthy with a
>>  >significant bump up in quality would be to use Schoeps (or MBHOs maybe)
>>  >capsules with the "active cable" preamps that let you mount the caps
>>  >remote from the mic body...
>>
>>  Or slightly large than the 183's, Klas Stranberg's Telinga "EM-23's"
>>  which he builds out of the Primosound EM-23 capsules that he reports
>  > to have ~14dB(A) self noise and about the same output as 183's. Dan
>  > Dugan knows about these mics too. Rob D.
>
>Any idea how available these actually are? I'd sort of got the impression
>they were only in "beta" at the moment...? :)

He'll probably take special orders but he also feels people could be
making them themselves.
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/naturerecordists/2005-09/msg00409.html
He has to charge ~$400 pair to be worth his time but he's not ready
to hand-over his specific circuit design yet.  I suspect someone who
works with FET IC preamps could figure it out with some
experimenting.  Rob D.