[microsound] Shure WL-183 redux

> > WL-183 Shures which run $190 a pair.
> > http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WL183/

Currently $160 a pair from Amazon (actually Full Compass).

> in short, one would have to make extensive mod's to an existing 'plug-
> in power' device in order to use these Sure's...

Not so, happily. I know multiple people using them with PIP devices namely
MD recoders, you do need to adapt off the current connector though to
1/8" stereo mini of course.

Locally (in the SF Bay) Dan Dugan can fabricate a cable for you, he did
one for me that ran about $45 as I recall. Or he can sell you the parts
and instruct you on soldering your own for about $25 I think.

I *do* know that they are issue with PIP (seemingly), namely that they
work flawlessly with Sharp MDs but overload on high SPL sources when used
with Sony MDs. So you would want to test with any particular PIP-supplying
device.

(Kim, I can loan you my pair including adapter cable if you want to give
them a try with your kit...)

 best,
  aaron

  ghede@xxxxxxxx