Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 11:58:04 -0700
To: microsound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: kubick <sesenta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: re: Theoretical Resources for Microsounders

this interests me greatly, thanks for getting this started,
and several books come to mind as deserving a read
not the least being, "the practice of everyday life" by michel de
certeau.....

or at least that seems appropriate.

but on the other hand, i find myself unsure of the category 'theoretical
books for microsounders';

not least because of the primacy of 'noise' on that wiki page.
i haven't really been paying attention to the list too much lately,
perhaps i've missed out on a developing conversation, but --
i don't see microsound as being synonymous w/ noise at all.
or, noises CAN be microsounds, but conflating the two concepts
seems to erode the meaning of microsound........

also, about these books.
are theoretical writings directed towards sound (eg christian metz)
desired on that list?

> Hi,
>
> I added a provisional thing to the "Texts" portion of the microsound
> wiki with a list of some authors whose theoretical work might be
> useful for theoretically-inclined microsounders:
>
> http://www.interdisciplina.org/microsound-wiki/index.php/Texts

-- "If the other could be possessed, seized, and known, it would not be the other. To possess, to know, to grasp are all synonyms of power. To see and to know, to have and to will, unfold only within the oppressive and luminous identity of the same."

~ Emmanuel Levinas

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: Phil Thomson, BFA, MFA hellomynameisphil@xxxxxxxxx http://www.philthomson.ca/ http://del.icio.us/hellomynameisphil