Re: [microsound] worship the decibel...

volume is intrinsic to musical aesthetics.

see: rise of industrialization, electricity, urbanization, machine power, automation, highways and helicopters, Italian Futurism. see: the impact of microphone amplification on the aesthetics of pop singing, crooning and the construction of intimacy and aura. see: nothing less than the entire history of rock n' roll music and the relationship between authenticity and rebellion. also see: entire history of jamaican sound system music, dub and the politics of bass. and while we are at it: disco and house - genres named after the venues in which the music is played. also: the impact of the walkman, Reaganism, and the sequestering and isolating of consumers into private sound spaces. conversely: the rise of a ghetto blasters as fashion/political statement (public enemy, rap music, spike lee's 'do the right thing,' that bus scene in 'star trek IV,' colourful metaphors, vulcan nerve pinches and middle fingers to the man). also see: everything that is good and great about technological music, brilliant sound systems, the human imagination, dancing, aural immersion and epiphanic sensory experiences. and let's not forget the dark side: the power of anger, hate, pain, self-loathing, disdain and all the other kinds of emotions artists both feel and willingly inflict on their audience, transformed into sound; safety pins, pogo dancing and punk music, sadomasochism, goth culture, nine inch nails, tattoos and body modification, cyberpunk, sound weapons, sonar, and fucked up dolphins, and other forms of aquatic casualties due to the american military industrial complex. see also: being generally speaking pissed off at yourself and the entire world and the pleasure derived from the involuntary invasion of private space.

these genres do not operate at low volume. their meaning is tied into the the physical power of amplification and bass.

wear earplugs. and if you still don't like it then the music and the musicians are probably achieving what they set out to do.

go home and complain on microsound and try and find solace in the other squares here who don't 'get it' either.

g.

So again: I ask why? If you play your music at physically damaging volumes, why? What do you hope to get out of it? And what are you expecting of your audience?

I'll also say that I'm 26, I hate being this curmudgeonly, but I want to be able to hear in the future.

nick