Re: [microsound] Chuck

Hi,

I'm not any amazing programmer, but ChucK was very easy to get started
in; there are a LOT of examples. You should be able to understand what
you need, simply by modifying one of the included scripts. The key to
Chuck is indeed the timing part, which isn't as confusing as you thing
if you read the examples and the manual... "now" is a chuck keyword,
but "later" in the example, would be a user defined variable, say 1
second, so after one second, (now < later) would be false and the loop
would end.

You don't have to process realtime with chuck, and I'm assuming
offline processing would be much faster with chuck than with Perl.

I use Pure Data a lot now, which is the open source version of Max.
However, the learning curve was STEEP, steeper than a normal
programming language, in my opinion. Took about a year I guess, before
the paradigm really seemed natural for doing programming type tasks
and not just hooking up audio streams.

~David

On 9/26/06, Xdugef <info@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Have you considered ChucK? It might be very well suited to what you
>are doing...
>~David

Chuck looks very interesting.. http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/

The main reason I abandoned Csound back in the day is because I was
trying to mainly work with samples and I could not figure out how to
avoid loud annoying clicks.

In my more recent efforts one goal was to avoid any kind of learning
curve although by this point in time Chuck looks pretty straight
forward to me.

Although some of the code seems to impose some philosophical
challenges..

"while( now < later )"

What the f...??? time is just a loop.. time is just a loop.. etc etc
etc

My script at this point is extremely portable assuming your sound input is in text file format ..hehe

Also since I am avoiding being a laptop performer (no offense to anyone
who is..simply my preference) I don't really care if my perl script is
live or not. In some perverse way I like that it is anything but
realtime.. it's an interesting limitation especially since I am
performing live more than ever.

I have enough time into my Perl script that I will of course move
forward and try to finish it's second manifestation and will probably
proceed to add the wav capabilities.

Pros of chuck are: It's free, It appears very capable, It's available
on all the major platforms, appears relatively easy.

I have toyed with the idea of getting back into MAX but now I may have
too.. thanks

Adrian