[microsound] One more Cage story

One more story from John Cage:

At the New School once I was substituting for Henry Cowell, teaching a class in Oriental music. I had told him I didn’t know anything about the subject. He said, “That’s all right. Just go where the records are. Take one out. Play it and then discuss it with the class.” Well, I took out the first record. It was an LP of a Buddhist service. It began with a short microtonal chant with sliding tones, then soon settled into a single loud reiterated percussive beat. This noise continued relentlessly for about fifteen minutes with no perceptible variation. A lady got up and screamed, and then yelled, “Take it off. I can’t bear it any longer.” I took it off. A man in the class then said angrily, “Why’d you take it off? I was just getting interested.”

Many other Cage stories here:

http://www.lcdf.org/indeterminacy/index.cgi