Re: [microsound] context

A deep question, this.

Yes, context is, inescapably, what we bring to any experience, it is why we
were where we were which is, to a greater or lesser extent, why we are here.

That said, there is no single history, nor is there a singular mode of
historical understanding.

Was Varese "aware" of musical history?  Of course.  His "silence" was simply
the result of an inability to actualize, technologically, the means to a
vision of what music could be.

Was Cage "aware" of musical history?  Of course.  Witness the familiar
anecdote about his studies with Schoenberg, and his inability to understand
harmony.

Then, too, there are the "accidents," e.g., Reich's discovery of phasing in
tape loops.

And, then, too, there are the unexpected influences.  Consider Riley's early
tape works, and then the continuing redefinition of his conceptions as
shaped by his exposure to Indian classical music.  And, perhaps even moreso,
by his collaboration with Kronos, to write in the idiom of the string
quartet.

Consider Subotnick, who invented a music built around an instrument of which
he was one of the inventors (with Don Buchla & Ramon Sender).

Before this becomes a string of posts about whether or not "knowledge" of
"history" is "good" or "bad," let's try and premise the discussion on
"history" as inevitably multiple.

So, too, its understandings.

What we call "innovation" or "invention" may, I suspect, as frequently occur
from within the tradition as from without.  It may also occur in the
presence of some "understanding" or, to paraphrase Bloom, a creative
misunderstanding.