Re: [microsound] secrets needed: ryoichi kurokawa

oy.  jeez.  yeesh.

if there are (obviously / at least) two sides to things, then here
they are, ridiculous or no.

on one hand, it can be helpful (and at least relieve some curiousity)
to know the ones-and-zeros or whatever of a specific artwork.  this
does not necessarily bring with it a deeper understanding of the work
itself (if one is to be had at all), neither does it provide insight
into one's own artistic practice.

I do not find it to be in any way ridiculous to willfully ignore the
technical trappings of a work.  ANY audience can view (and maybe even
understand!) a work simply by encountering it, and while there "how'd
they do that?" curiosity may be picqued, the answer is not necessary
for their enjoyment of the work.

GENERALLY, the most communicative parts of a work occur after the
technical production - in the viewing, audition, or performance.
I'll give that there are many, modern artworks that rely heavily on
their technical apparatus (or process) to communicate with an
audience.  but there is still a necessary narrative that occurs after
this, which relies on the exhibition of the work to the audience.

THAT is the relevant part of the work.

(not to say that production expertise is worthless in relation to
artistic or conceptual whatever, rather that our experience of the
work contains the most information to be understood and enjoyed)

SO - no one is being ridiculous here.  please.

thanks, ralph, for reminding me of that small chip on my shoulder.  I
thought I misplaced it!

graham, I hope the small technical brief helps you with your work.  I
agree, it looks like Jitter mapping video to 3-D whatevers.  not my
specialty, but I recognize it.

billy g, bored at work

fraufraulein.com