Re: [microsound] the power of sound

I caught Sunn O))) in concert on Friday night here in Cork (Ireland). I was
accompanied by a friend who maintains that there were many audience members
rendered ill (nausea/vomitting) at a recent Sunn gig in London. Can anybody
here verify this ?

Does that not sound suspiciously like the effects produced by Infrasound or
the squawk box ?

I only saw one person in any distress at the gig on Friday night - a guy
who fainted twice, and ended up walking out wearing a bewildered look on
his face.

Oh, and I had a brief bout of giddiness too, but I reckon that that had
more to do with the whole spinal tappedness of Sunn's live "routine".

It was ear bleedingly loud though... but in a "nice" kinda way.

|         |           { brad brace }   |
|         |           <bbrace@xxxxxxxxx|
|         |           m>               |
|         |           21/10/2006 16:25 |
|         |           microsound       |
  |       To:       microsound <microsound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>                                                                        |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Re: [microsound] the power of sound                                                                          |

Acoustic Bullets: High-power, very low-frequency waves
emitted from one- to two-meter antenna dishes. Results in
blunt-object trauma. Effects range from discomfort to death.

Curdler Unit: A device that is plugged into a sound system
to produce a shrill, shrieking, blatting noise.  It is used
to irritate and disperse rioters and has a decibel range
just below that of the danger level to the human ear. It is
used in night operations to produce a "voodoo" effect and
breaks up chanting, singing, and clapping.

Infrasound: Very low-frequency sound that can travel long
distances and easily penetrate most buildings and vehicles.
Long-wavelength sound creates biophysical effects: nausea,
loss of bowels, disorientation, vomiting, internal-organ
damage, or death may occur.  By 1972 an infrasound generator
had been built in France.  When activated it made the people
in range sick for hours.

Squawk Box: Crowd-dispersal weapon field-tested by the
British Army in Ireland in 1973. This directional device
emits two ultrasonic frequencies that when mixed in the
human ear become intolerable. It produces giddiness, nausea,
or fainting. The beam is so small that it can be directed at
specific individuals in a riot situation.

Mosquito Crowd Dispersal System:

Whilst most young people are law-abiding and cause no
problems, the presence of certain groups of teenagers can
often discourage genuine customers from entering shops and
other premises with a subsequent detrimental effect on
turnover and profits. This type of anti-social behaviour has
become the biggest threat to private property over the last
decade and there has been no effective solution until now.
The Mosquito ultrasonic deterrent provides the first
practical solution to the eternal problem of unwanted
gatherings of youths and teenagers in shopping malls and
other retail areas.

The Mosquito generates a high frequency sound that is
audible only to teenagers. It is completely harmless even
with long-term use and rarely affects older people as it
relies on a medical phenomenon known as presbycusis, or age
related hearing loss. This begins after the age of 20 but is
usually significant only in persons over 65. It first
affects the highest frequencies (18 to 20 kHz), which is
where Mosquito operates.

With an effective range of between fifteen and twenty
meters, field trials have shown that teenagers are acutely
aware of the Mosquito and usually move away from the area
within just a couple of minutes.

bbs: brad brace sound:
http://69.64.229.114:8000
http://bbrace.net/undisclosed.html