Re: [microsound] OT: those programs spammers use to generate random text?

that is such a cool story and a great idea. thanks!

On 9-Oct-06, at 3:39 PM, Thomas Ashcraft wrote:

Some years ago, soon after 9-11 happened, my girlfriend got a new Dell PC laptop computer. One time after getting this new computer she was typing something in the MS Word program and as she typed words started appearing that she herself was not entering. The phrases were goobledy-gook for the most part interspersed with brief word strings of intelligible text. The intelligible text word strings had to do with hijackers, terrorist stuff, and various hot and threatening types of news. The computer seemed to be picking up some sort of secret terrorist communications almost as if it was jihadist automatic writing! It was unnerving to say the least in the paranoid mood after 9-11. We investigated this by calling Dell tech service and they told us that the computer probably shipped with the voice/text recognition feature switched on. We then discovered that the laptop was picking up television broadcast news snippets from the tv that was on in the corner of the room and entering some of the newscaster's spoken words as written text.
You might try duplicating this with a voice to text program.....in a glitched kind of way.

TA