[microsound] RE : [microsound] the politics of digital audio

--- mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi Dimitri, hugs from Uruguay
>
> Personally (I'm a 1 individual statistic), y feel a little bit tired
> of
> certain paradigms surrounding digital artists nowadays:
>
> 1_The increasing lack of physicality

Yes much discussion has transpired about performers staring at laptops
etc.. do video projections help or make it worse, etc??

For my most recent performance I considered attaching a guitar strap to
a piece of equipment that would normally be rack mounted so I could
"jam" on it. But I was in a rush and had to skip it until the next
time.

> 2_The increasing lack of conceptual and/or ideological content

My biggest issue here is how to do this without requiring the listener,
especially a live audience to have a large amount of knowledge about
ones concepts or idealogies in order to understand it or recognize it.
Of course some performers may only play to those that they expect to
have this knowledge.

Being that I work in video professionally I tend to try to juztapose
concepts from one on the other.

> 3_The increasing importance given to tools

Personally this is why I avoid the laptop.. seems too easy to get
trapped by the software.. even though I know that there is great
possibility in the software ..I have to I prefer to write my own tools
even if they are written in inappropriate languages.

> Maybe in this boom of "new media art" some of us are really
> forgetting
> what took us into art (especially music) in the first place.

I was born into arts.. both parents are artists so I guess I have never
really considered why I got into it in the first place. It has been
more an excercise of unerstanding why I stayed in it.

Adrian