Re: [microsound] boris + sunn o))) collaboration

Look, I'm an artist, I've got stuff on beatport right now...

Would I prefer that people buy from beatport rather than illegally
file share? Of course.

But... Would I be willing to accept some stealing, if it ends up
getting my more notoriety, shows, and in the end, higher sales?
Definitely! I use soulseek to check out new artists, and I can assure
you that I've bought releases from people I had no idea about, because
I listened first to a bootleg.

Anyway, I'd make more money if I got rid of the label, distributor,
and shop, and people just bought direct from me. Which, since my label
has done ZERO promotion and I'm stuck doing everything myself, is
starting to sound like a better idea every day.

Finally, we are talking about a situation where a release is only
available for ridiculous prices on ebay. I say it's up to the
individual to decide, if they want to use soulseek in such a case.
Everyone has a different ethical perspective. I think it's ridiculous
to try to moralize and tell people how bad thieves they are! Rational
adults should way the various angles and make their own decisions.
Everyone does not see it in the same way, and why should they?

Anyway, in answer to the original thread question, I'd recommend the
person looking for the release to try just contacting the artist
directly. If they are like me in any way, they'd happily provide
something and you can donate directly to them. Or use soulseek and
send them a check...

~David

you steal money to the artist, the label, the producer, the distributor, the shop....