Re: [microsound] AI & rhythm perception - 'groove' heuristics?

David Powers wrote:

Well, but this is my point: this IS precisely how many (probably most)
techno producers do use compression. When I build a bassline I
consider the result of how the kick and bass will compress together -
it's NOT the same rhythm/groove without the compression. Likewise,
sometimes after doing a test mastering, I have to go back and change a
velocity or timing in a high pitched rhythm, or the characteristic of
the sound itself, because of something that occurs happens to the
rhythm after compression, which I was not aware of before hand...

I think we're kind of saying the same thing, which I've suspected for a while ;-) we just have different ideas about the repercussions, or perhaps the underlying truth, or something.

What you're talking about is part of my idea though - what happens when you take away the need for a compressor and just programme in the same sorts of velocities directly? A compressor is following a mathematical algorithm. It's guided by a musician, sure, but it's still the maths helping it to feel groovy, to some extent. My interest is in determining what kind of input to send the compressor to make it give a groover effect on the output. I've experimented a little with passing the output of a drum machine through a sine-based tremolo that is perfectly in phase with the beat, and that can lend some interesting effects, but the sine really needs to be wonky in interesting ways, and it's this wonky that I'm trying to find.

--
Damian Stewart
+64 27 305 4107

f r e y