[microsound] AI & rhythm perception - 'groove' heuristics?

Hi,

Does anyone know of any research into rhythm perception which talks about possible heuristics for determining whether a 1/2/4-bar rhythmic pattern in 4/4 has a 'good' 'groove' or not?

I know from my own composition efforts with looping rhythmic material (read 'electronic dance music') that, during the construction of a 'groove' in 4/4 time, adding particular sounds to particular places in a pattern can make it 'groovier', while adding the same sounds to other places in the pattern can make it distinctly less 'groovy'. By the same token, removing a particular sound that is 'getting in the way of the groove' can vastly increase the 'grooviness' of the pattern. (Sorry about the scare quotes, I don't know any other language that would convey what I mean effectively.)

Having done this for about four years now I've reached a point of skill where I can do this mostly intuitively; ie, I can listen to a 'groove' and tell in my mind (or by beatboxing with my mouth) what sounds to add, and where to add them, to make it 'groovier'. The development of this intuitive skill has led me to believe that my brain is somehow hooking into the maths of the pattern, that said additions work to enhance certain mathematical properties of the pattern. I'm fairly certain that a lot of the 'organic' 'funkiness' of a good funk band is paradoxically due to the performers being metronomically precise with their rhythms and accents, and I believe this mathematical basis could be extended further.

So I'm looking for some research into the heuristics of 'groove', or even just analysis along these lines. I'm well aware that such heuristics may not even exist, but I'd like to believe otherwise :-)

--
Damian Stewart
+64 27 305 4107

f r e y