Re: [microsound] an interesting monolake answer

in this area i still think of that autechre video for gantz graf is a stunning hybrid of sound meets visuals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMRjmtSx24A

but i think we're getting away from the original quote which wasn't so much about visuals and music in performance, but rather how GUI and the visual representation of music affects the music making process itself, positively or negatively.

in my imagination, i have always thought that best kind of computer instrument would be closer to a military flight simulator. some kind immersive virtual 3D environment to navigate through, controlled either physically, or mentally. it would a sound space. this is, after all, what music is, in aural form: a sound space.

or reverse engineer the gantz graf video, for instance. imagine that the video itself was a live interface for producing sound, and that the piece of music, was created by that interface, not the other way around, as it actually is. that gantz graf 'world' could be accessed through virtual reality technology and that geometry of the VR world could be manipulated, like an instrument, to produce sound.

the reality of it is: there will be different interfaces for every person. the ultimate trend is total customization and individuality. just look at already how many different ways there are to use live. no two people i know use it exactly the same way, and its hardly at the level of customization of, say, MAX or reaktor. can the same be said for pro tools?

g.