Re: [microsound] a primer in marxist asthetics

Kim Cascone wrote:
a .pdf of the first chapter only
was uploaded to the repository
in the reading dir.

Thanks for that Kim.

This makes me think about the "creative industry" - design, advertising, and film and television production. Given as how almost all manufacturing work now happens overseas, it could be argued that these are becoming the most economically important forces in the Western world.

Now, I work in this industry (with a small company that makes interactive museum installations), and having spoken to the owners of several of the most successful companies here in Wellington, New Zealand, it strikes me that one of the things that they all have in common is an interest in art. This makes a lot of sense - advertisers are often looking for different ways of enticing people to experience their ads, and artists are often trying to create works that allow listeners or viewers to experience something new or different, or at least in a different way.

Whether or not advertising is art is a separate matter and one I'm not really interested in, but my point is that if advertising is an important economic force (which it is), and if advertisers are interested in art (which they appear to be), then art does have an effect on the economy. Even if it's indirect, it's there. The wild-eyed free-jazz cats put on a gig, someone from the audience goes home later that night and composes some electronica in response; he plays it to his buddy who writes soundtracks for Saatchi & Saatchi, his buddy goes off later that week and writes some new music for the ad he's working on, having drawn inspiration from his mate's electronica, and next thing you know something of the essence of the wild-eyed free-jazz music (mutated and translated but still there) shows up on prime-time television selling toothpaste.

--
Damian Stewart
+64 27 305 4107

f r e y