Re: [microsound] mcgill univ.'s "audition" requirement

sending to the list as it has come up a couple times and so maybe of
general interest...

Owen is right on in his overview of mcgill music tech (hi owen).  i'm
finishing a phd there and can speak of the
grad program from the perspective of student and the undergrad as
instructor....in doing so i can say there
is no way you could presently do the mutech major without "strong"
classical training. you could, however, do the
minor from any other dept. (e.g. communication studies, which seems
cool, has a few sound/media oriented faculty
 and which Tobias [van Veen] from this list  could tell you about if
interested...).  aside from the structure of the program(s), there
is currently many top-quality (scientific) researchers converging on
the place (see: CIRMMT), and it is worthwhile if one has the interest
and inclination to tap into these knowledge sources. In terms of the
"artistic" side of the institution, its not that there is not (some)
interest
in more open and current trends in music and sonic arts (example: i got
funding recently to bring in Kim for his GA workshop to
much success...), its just that it is emerging from a classical
environment and so is still rooted in that tradition. (if you want to
write
'concert music' for instruments+electronics, it is a good place to
study composition...).   One other place in MTL to exist as
student/(sound) artist
 (and as owen mentioned), is at Concordia.  The beautifully chaotic
thing about
this particular univ. is that they seem to have 1,001 programs doing
similar things with digital media.  in addition to the electroacoustic
music program
(http://music.concordia.ca/programs/Electroacoustics/default.html),
there are (as two examples) the IMCA prog.
(http://imca.concordia.ca/) as well as the communication studies dept.
At mutech we have had a bunch of people take courses in order
to get more "deeply" (read: theoretically, scientifically) into
electronics, dsp, etc. and it has worked out nicely.  Finally - and if
you speak
french - there is the electroacoustic music program at Université de
Montréal.  jean piche and robert normandeau are there and  have some
nice work.
The program to me seems very steeped in the "acousmatic" tradition (as
i'll qualify it) which manifests nicely in (e.g.) Francis Dhomont
 (who used to teach at UdeM and who seems to visit often) to give one
shining example.

hope this helps,
doug