From: Federico J Windhausen [mailto:fjw0393@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 19 March 2007 02:46
To: microsound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [microsound] George Brecht's "Drip Music"

Hello,

I hope this posting (my first for this list) doesn't stray too far from the
list's "digital aesthetic" focus. After to listening to Ben Patterson's
version of George Brecht's "Drip Music" piece from 1959, I recently found
myself wondering whether Brecht's piece could be seen as part of an artistic
tradition or tendency that has been extended, modified, or taken up by
contemporary sound artists.  Adam Overton and Nancy Popp are the only two
names I could come up with on my own. Any suggestions or comments?

Federico

Here's some good info on the work, taken from this page:
http://members.chello.nl/j.seegers1/flux_files/brecht_performances.html

    * Drip Music 1959. For single or multiple performance. A source of
dripping water and an empty vessel are arranged so that the water falls into
the vessel.
    * 1959. Second Version. Dripping.
    * 1959. Fluxversion 1. Performer on a ladder pours water from a pitcher
very slowly down into the bell of a French horn or tuba held in playing
position by a second performer at floor level.
    * Performed in 2002 by Ben Patterson. Patterson wrote in the liner
notes: "Recently, as I was preparing a concert of classic Fluxus works, I
decided to re-examine the original scores, rather than rely on my memory of
preformances of the traditional interpretations of these works. Thus, I
discovered that George Brechts original instructions for Drip Music allowed
for both a single source or multiple sources of dripping water. Remembering
Georges first career as a chemist, employing laboratory equipment to produce
multiple, dripping sources seemed appropriate. A device was constructed
including 3 gerbil water bottles suspended from metal rods and a piece of
molded plastic packaging, amplified with contact microphone. Only micro
adjustments were made to provide differing drip frequencies. No
electro-acoustic manipulations or editorial tricks." [source: Alfa Marghen]