[microsound] Hello from Utah--a few Q's

Hi Graham,

Steve Ricks here--I posted an announcement about free software--UMM--and you
replied to me.  Anyway, I'm new to the microsound community and was hoping
to get a more clear picture as to what the participants are involved in,
what the group is all about, etc.

I come at electronic music from an Academic-Western-Art-Music-Tradition
perspective--I have graduate degrees in composition and teach composition at
a university, and have been into electronic music in some form or another
since working in the electronic music studios at the U. of Illinois in
'93-'95.  Most of my recent works that use electronics also include live
instrumental performers--there are mp3's of several of my works on my site:
www.stevericks.com   (in particular, Boundless Light, Beyond the Zero, and
Dreamscape Excerpt--all of which also feature passages created in UMM and a
fair bit of Reaktor-created material).

I know you didn't ask for that long intro, but it's a preface to asking you
about what you do--what is your music like?  How do you create it?  I'd like
to hear some samples, if you're willing to share.  My impression is that
while there are some academic types involved in the online discussion/list,
that most of the participants are freelance musicians (or something like
that), and that the emphasis seems to be on live electronic performance.  Am
I right in this?

Anyway, I'd be happy to know more about what you do, if you're willing to
tell me more about it.  I'm interested in developing in the direction of
live electronic performance, while still keeping my more traditional
compositions going, and am hoping that being involved in this list will help
me do that.

Any input is appreciated--thanks,

Steve

--