[Microsound-announce] just returning from Athens Synch festival + next week in Poland @ Off festival

dear readers,
for those who like the band ROTHKO please have a look at the new video for one song from our album:

done by Anne Sulikowsky, who is also composing some very nice music:

The video is a mix of films and photos she has taken, attempting to document the art of wandering through life being awake and also wandering while being in a dream, and focusing on how there is really no difference between the two. Hope u will like it...

just returning from Athens where I co animated (with Markus from the label Staubgold) our seminar explaining how to run an indie label, how to develop internationally and other subjects in the indie business.
It took place in Benaki Museum of Contemporary Art and was part of the Synch festival.

www.synch.gr

Synch was Qwartz-awarded best festival of the year and I can confirm they deserve the price.
The organisation was impeccable, the action was set in an ancient gas factory, very beautiful and industrial-looking.
Musically very varied, one can have a look at their program there:

For those of you leaving close or attending Off festival, Markus and I will do our talk there + we'll both be DJing
On August 17 and 18
Headlining there Electrelane, Radian, Piano Magic, Architecture In Helsinki, Port-Royal, I Like Trains, and many Polish acts...

www.myspace.com/offfestival

here details on our lecture:

Record labeling workshop

In the past ten years there is a constant increase of number of independent record labels on the territory of Europe and the United States. The complete system of music industry – which probably knows of better days than the situation it is in today – is becoming more and more complex, and the musicians themselves are not the only “brands” and references anymore.
This process is probably most visible on the scene of contemporary independent (electronic) music production: new micro-genres are emerging on a monthly basis, supported by record labels who wish to present their musical sensibilities, but also take a distinctive position on the already over-populated musical map of the world.

The aim of the RECORD LABELING seminar is the education of current and future professionals from the milieu of music industry, be it musicians, producers, label managers, distributors or salesmen… The success and hi-profile of the labels such as Staubgold (Berlin) and BiP-HOp (Marseille) are the best recommendations for the lecturers : Markus Detmer and Philippe Petit.
Over the course of the seminar they will try to cover the numerous aspects of starting up and managing an independent record label, through lectures about the manufacturing of compact discs, visual identity, distribution, Internet-only projects, concert promotion, copyrights… In a friendly tone showing that humanity is possible in business and in hope to raise interest from the listeners fans of music and to show them that it is possible to become an activist... And hopefully turn them into activists.

AUGUST 17

15h
gathering, checking participants, introducing each other, explaining why they came and what they expect from us

15:30 - 16:30
general intro
presentation of Staubgold and BiP_HOp
development, major artists, aims, focuses, approach, mission, markets, visual identities... distribution/promotion

overview of the development and role of record labels in the past 2 decades / their position in the music cluster
different profiles and way of running labels
mapping of the contemporary electronic scenes and its companies

major vs. indie:
characteristics, way of working / role in local communities
describing markets (europe/USA/Japan/UK)
overview of the general situation inthe music industry and what are the possible developments

coffee break

17:00 to 18:00
presentation of Staubgold and BiP_HOp
development, major artists, aims, focuses, approach, mission, markets, visual identities... distribution/promotion

AUGUST 18

14:30 - 15:30
how to start a label
where to start?/ process and costs of manufacturing/ various packagings possibilities
how to promote: radio, tv, mags, web
ways of distributing

coffee break

16:00 - 17:00
how to manage your band/how to approach labels: send demos, develop international recognition, legal issues, copyright, licensing, contracts...

Other than that please do not forget our 2 new releases :

Spaceheads & Max Eastley : a very long way from anywhere else [bleep 35]
Spaceheads are a unique duo of trumpet (Andy Diagram) played through electronics and looped with drums (Richard Harrison). Max Eastley is a sound sculptor, artist, and musician who plays an instrument he invented and made himself called The Arc. It is a monochord of wood and wire, which is scraped, bent and flexed into an orbit of amplified effects. This new CD was recorded live, improving at two very different locations, one an island of the south of France during Mimi festival, and the other a remote village on the North Yorkshire moors, both venues a very long way from anywhere else.
SELECTED REVIEWS :

"A fascinating meeting of surreal improv strategies and electronic abstraction, A Very Long Way From Anywhere Else, is, as the title suggests, a pretty unique piece of work. Recommended." BOOMKAT / UK

Rothko : eleven stages of intervention [bleep 36]
Following releases on such visionary labels as Lo Recordings, Simon Raymonde’s Bella Union, Too Pure and Kraak, Bip_Hop is pleased to welcome the release of Rothko's new album. Mark Beazley (bass), Michael Donnelly (bass), Ben Page (keyboards/percussion) and Tom Page (drums) continue to create a warm and inviting sound, where solitary keyboard melodies transition from exploratory passages and fragile beauty intertwines effortlessly through somber basslines. The music of Rothko at equal turns challenges and comforts the listener. At first perhaps confrontational, yet ultimately nurturing, the band's eleventh fulllength release -- adds to Rothko's already innovative and impressive catalogue.
SELECTED REVIEWS :
"It’s like a more melancholy, more muted Godspeed You! Black Emperor, without the hint of post-rock cliché, or at times even like Southern Lord’s slow rockers Earth without the metallic subtext – this is cinematic and evocative music in the best possible way... Quite hauntingly beautiful… recommended!" BOOMKAT / UK

Each Digipack CD is 15 Euros  (postpaid).

thanx for your attention
ip

www.bip-hop.com