To: "microsound" <microsound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2007 8:43 AM
Subject: [microsound] Re: [Bulk] Re: [microsound] recovery of sound files on pc, emergency assist needed in lyon, france

I am in no way a WinXP pro, but I had to "repair" my aunt's pc this summer, which had a similar problem (config file missing). What I did was to plug the HD on my own pc (running Linux), back-up the documents, re-install Windows from scratch, and put back the documents. It worked perfectly. I don't think you can reboot under WinXP without your config files, but I can be wrong. Windows is really a pain in the neck when it comes to system configuration.

jeff gburek a écrit :
thanks for this suggestion cyril. i am staying at
squat here with a linux possee but have not been able
to get ahold of one of them today yet

but do you think i should not reboot before i try this
backup?
best; jeff

-- Cyrill Bloch <cyrill.bloch@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Maybe you should try to boot from a Linux live-cd
and check if you can make a back-up of your datas from it...

jeff gburek a écrit :

dear microsounders, i have already told myself i

told

you so, so i am hoping someone here can give me
practical information about this issue: my pc

laptop

running xp crashed for lack of win 32 config file

and

i left the original programs boot disc in berlin.

is

anyone in lyon able to help me reboot and does

anyone

know if i have already lost 4 years of work? if so

have the opportunity finally to go linux whole

hog.

but i have performances which involve the sound

files,

in lyon you will start seeing the posters for the

perf

at espace 44 by today. i need to try to get some

of

these files back.   the onboard cd rom drive is
broken; i need to port the config file from

somewhere.

m'aidez, sils vous plait
amicalment, jeff gburek

j.ff gbk

http://www.futurevessel.com/orphansound

http://www.idiosyncratics.net/netlabel.html

http://www.djalma.com

http://www.mattin.org/desetxea.html

Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights

and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.

http://farechase.yahoo.com/

For additional commands, e-mail:

microsound-help@xxxxxxxxxxxxx