RE: [microsound] Recordings of steel plant/demolition

Hi steve,

last year I made an installation consisting of a room full of demolition debris on the floor. when people walked in some contact mics detected their movement and triggered processed audio from demolitions (not big explosions, but sounds of hammers hiting walls and other ambient sounds I gathered from a museum wich was being remodelled).  the amount of noise that the person's steps generated determined how loud and dense the triggered sounds would be. also, the acoustic sound of the real footsteps taking place in the room mixed very well with the speaker's output.

the idea was to work this sounds of destruction situations with similar destructive processes. ie, the sound of a wall breaking was itself being broken using a max patch that shuffled it, cut it, etc. so conceptually it was decided that the DSP to be used consisted on a small amount of vary basic proceses.

if you're interested in this I could send you some pics and audio (it was quadraphonic but i've got some stereo mixes.)

bye!
javier> Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:12:28 -0600> From: stevericksmusic@xxxxxxxxx> To: microsound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [microsound] Recordings of steel plant/demolition> > Hi,> > I working on a group composition project with some students--we are creating> original electronic works inspired by a photography exhibit that chronicles> the demolition of a steel plant. I'm in search of field recordings of steel> plants in operation and/or demolition of buildings, more as a source of> inspiration than actual material that will be used. Any> tips/suggestions/ideas?> > -Steve> www.stevericks.com