Re: [microsound] A sort of glissando - fading, sound effect...

Hallo,
Gunnar S hat gesagt: // Gunnar S wrote:

> Just wondering how to obtain the impression of a glissando, kind of fading effect.
> Is there any known techniques used in any of the existing digital editing programs? I'd like to simulate the sound of an old fashion record player an how it sounds when power is cut.
> How do I make a glissando out of a CD or any other digitally saved sound?
> Has it anything to do with granulation techniques?

When a record player's motor stops (or a DJ starts spinning slower)
the stored audio data is played slower. In the digital world, this is
"variable speed sample playback": You just play your sampled sound
slower (i.e. with a slower samplerate). It doesn't involve granulation
techniques, but to avoid interpolation artifacts, one sometimes uses
overlapping windows for playback. Miller Puckette's book contains the
underlying math and also examples in Pd for doing overlapping samplers
(enveloping samplers he calls it). See:
http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/techniques/latest/book-html/node26.html

Ciao