Re: [microsound] Algorithmic Composition

On 15/01/2008, at 19.16, Frank Barknecht wrote:

Ghost Bunnies hat gesagt: // Ghost Bunnies wrote:

I'm an artist, not a professional musician, but I'm more and more
interested in this particular subject (even started to learn
SuperCollider recently), so any suggestions are welcome!

Learning a programming language sure is a nice thing. Which language
to learn is a very personal decision, though. Unlike the natural
language, you aren't born into one as a baby and should probably take
a look at several alternatives.

Heinrich Taube [0] did a demo at ICMC 07 about SAL which roughly put is a layer upon Common Music [1] designed for algorithmic composition, hence might be worth trying out. There are more info at [3] and slideshows and and workshop material from the ICMC at [2].

[0] http://www.music.uiuc.edu/facultyBio.php?id=85
[1] http://commonmusic.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://pinhead.music.uiuc.edu/~hkt/icmc07/
[3] http://commonmusic.sourceforge.net/doc/dict/sal-topic.html