Re: [microsound] [lengthy] last.panopticon

Of course, the safe way to avoid the bad politics of Facebook, Last.fm, or whatever else, is to opt out, to not participate.

However, the important thing to recognize is that this business model is not an aberration - it's becoming the norm. The sort of opting out described in the guardian article is barely a sustainable practice now, and it the near future it likely won't be at all (w/o living in the woods anyway). The more productive discussion might be... given these systems (both individual businesses like Facebook and Last.fm, and their business practices as a general model that is continuously being re-implemented): how can we best connect ourselves to them? What can we use them for? How can we avoid contributing to the discouraging politics behind something like Myspace, Facebook? How can we make use of these structures for our particular ends, without ruining the world, our music scene, some dude in Turkeys music scene, or whatever else?

All of these models are, at their core, tied to advertising. Getting a Facebook account isn't putting too much money in Facebook's pocket. But, going to a film being advertised on Facebook is most definitely putting money in their pocket. Joining Last.fm and scrobbling track after track of Varèse isn't going to put a damn thing in their pockets, because they don't give a shit if you listen to Varèse - and they won't until Forced Exposure starts advertising or buying demographic data from them. That last scenario is certainly more believable now then it was 10 years ago, so perhaps that's one place to start the conversation.... And if a Justin Timberlake track turns up on my charts? Sony discovers there's a huge demographic of JT- loving Varèse fans? I buy music at shows, from small local record labels, mail order - if I want JT, I pirate it or buy it used. I won't watch his appearance on SNL, and even if I did, I wouldn't buy anything advertised in the commercial breaks anyway.

Now, not to be naive.... there are a LOT of ways my actions as a consumer can probably benefit Sony's Varèse and Timberlake sublabel - I'm no economist, and these are huge, complex systems.... but that's why we have these sorts of threads on our experimental music mailing lists: to sort these things out, come up with some strategies, enlighten each other, etc. And, further, are there ways in which we can go beyond simply not supporting the nasty forces connected to MyFace.fm, but actually disrupt them? Can we use these systems to encourage others to engage in similar unhelpful / disruptive tactics? Or, hell, can we /trick/ others into it?

This email could easily be twice as long as this, but I've got dinner plans, and I'm curious what others have to say.

- Scott Carver