[microsound] OT - Free simple software synth

Off topic (somewhat):

I'm working with a couple of people on basic synthesis ideas and I was wondering if there is a simple straightforward software synth that can be used as a tool to teach about synthesis.
The requirements would be that it should include FM and Filter based synthesis and that it should be able to record the results onto a .wav file or similar.
Ideally it should be freeware.
Any suggestions are very welcome.
You can send them to me off list if you prefer.
Thanks!

JC Mendizabal
Black Note Music
http://www.blacknotemusic.com