Re: [microsound] project announcement: Project: Zero - Cage 4'33

seems like a lot of work for nothing.
;-)

On Apr 3, 2008, at 3:34 PM, Sylvain wrote:

Here is my computer's performance for Microsound Project: Zero made in SuperCollider
Respecting all ze rulez stated by Kim, see below.
Runs (at least) on Mac Intel computer, SC 3.2.
If nothing or failures happen, well that's at least nothing.
This is a non-performance, so be prepared.

Best

Sylvain

// Microsound Project: Zero
// This should be, from what I know, the first ever computer performed play of Cage's piece 4'33 // Indeed, it's not just recording silence on an audio card, it's much more than that
// The computer really execute itself the code
// By the way, Cage reported that this piece was the most painfull piece he ever wrote // because it was not just a single 4:33 silence, but it was made of plenty of little fragments of silence // collected over several years and put together to form the whole piece // So, that's more or less what the computer does, by executing several times the silent, at a random rate
// which alltogether make 4'33
// Moreover, as the computer cannot be satisfied with approximations, the following piece actually last for // 4'33"15 min, since absolute zero in Kelvin equals -273.15 celsius degrees // (note: a Farhenheit version could be issued but would betray Cage's legacy)

(
p=ProxySpace.push(s.boot);
c = p.makeTempoClock(1);

q =(
   name:[\cage],
   zero:["zero", {Silent.ar}]
);

q.name.do{|name| p.at(name).ar;p.at(name).play(vol:0);};

d = Document.new;
b = 0;
c = 0;
)

(
Tdef(\absolute ,{ var str,seq,str_env;
   while(
       { b < 273.15 },
       {|name|
str=("p.put(\\cage,"+ q.zero.at(1).asCompileString++");\n \n\n");
           {d.selectedString_(str);}.defer;
           str.interpret;
           c = b;
           a = (0.05*(rand(100)+1));
           b = b + a;
           if( b > 273.15,
           {
str=("p.put(\\cage,"+ q.zero.at(1).asCompileString+ +");\n\n\n");
               {d.selectedString_(str);}.defer;
               str.interpret;
               (273.15-c).wait;
               "end".postln;
           },
           {
               b.postln;
               a.wait;
           });
             });
}
).play;
)

Kim Cascone a écrit :
April 1 2008

Microsound invites all microsounders to take part in a brand new project titled: 'Project: Zero'.

The project is open to all to contribute absolutely nothing.
I'm not doing anything as my/your computer does

This project is a very good example of 'green media' due to its very low carbon footprint (VLCF™).

There will only be zero copies made of this release on nothing (we are considering other formats) and there will be no pressing -- ever!

There will be no other copy ever of this recording - ever!

Don't ever make any saving of the files produced, or worst prints or recordings of it
Even the composers will never own a copy of this - never!

I didn't and never will
Packaging will be designed by graphic designer No One and is scheduled to be released on May 0 2008.

Packaged as non existing documents
This is going to be a real collectors item!

for sure
Stay tuned for no more information!
.
.